Wednesday 28 November 2012

Project One

Today I googled 'volunteerism' and 'local opportunities to serve' and a bunch of other stuff and I was surprised at how long it took me to find an actual site that could give me some actual jobs that I could do but I eventually found this great online resource called Points of Light.  And at first glance their website seems overwhelming/confusing but there is a little spot on the right with a green banner that reads "Find Volunteer Opportunities" where you can search for a specific type of volunteer work you are looking for or like me you can plug in your zip code if you don't have anything particular in mind.  The results turned up pages of service opportunities in my area.  Some linked me to the AARP site which also has an awesome online listing of opportunities and also The United Way has a great list.  I simply scrolled through and wrote down the information for a slew of things, whatever struck my fancy.  I do have some questions about the mentoring opportunities since I know nothing about that kind of thing and they ask for a year requirement.  I have a lot of reservations and fears, like what if I can't be there for a kid at the last minute because of work, I don't want to disappoint a kid who already may have abandonment issues, etc.  But I wrote down the info any way to investigate and in some cases I used the auto populated email form to send a pre-written form telling the person in charge of the project that I would be interested in receiving more info.  I think in those cases I really need to talk to a person to find out if I would be a good fit or not.

The first thing I would like to do sounds right up my alley, it is for an organization called Kids on the Move and they are right here in Utah County in Orem. I can not wait to expound more on it.  For now I will just say that it is a sewing project and it is for the children that KOTM serves.  Holly Bushnell is the woman in charge of their PR and we both are looking forward to bringing you info about who they are and what they do and all about their new site!  Just click on their name to go check it out right now and volunteer your time or give them some money!  'Tis the season, yo.

1 comment:

  1. My mother-in-law worked for Kids on the Move for years. It's a wonderful program!

    ReplyDelete